To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2008 2:17 PM
Subject: Re: FW: [agi] A paper that actually does solve the problem of consciousness--correction

--- On Mon, 11/17/08, Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> No it won't, because people are free to decide what makes pain "real".

What?  You've got to be kidding . . . .  What makes
pain real is how the sufferer reacts to it -- not some
abstract wishful thinking that we use to justify our
decisions of how we wish to behave.

Autobliss responds to pain by changing its behavior to make it less likely. Please explain how this is different from human suffering. And don't tell me its because one is human and the other is a simple program, because...

>> Do you think that the addition of intelligent
robots will make the boundary between human and non-human
any sharper?

No, I think that it will make it much fuzzier . . . . but
since the boundary is just a strawman for lazy thinkers,
removing it will actually make our ethics much sharper.

So either pain is real to both, or to neither, or there is some other criteria which you haven't specified, in which case I would like to know what that is.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]