Bob:  Even with crude or no real
simulation ability in an environment such as Second Life, using some
simple symbology to stand for "puck up screwdriver" you can still try
to tackle problems such as autobiographical memory - how does the
agent create a coherent story out of a series of activities, and how
can it use that story in future to improve its skills or communication
effectiveness.

It's an interesting idea, but I suspect it too will rapidly break down. Which activities can be known about in a rich, better-than-blind-Cyc way *without* a knowledge of objects and object manipulation? How can an agent know about reading a book,for example, if it can't pick up and manipulate a book? How can it know about adding and subtracting, if it can't literally put objects on top of each other, and remove them? We humans build up our knowledge of the world objects/physics up from infancy. Science also insists that all formal scientific knowledge of the world - all scientific disciplines - must be ultimately physics/objects-based. Is there really an alternative?