On Sun, 19 Nov 2017, Aris Merchant wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 5:53 PM, Kerim Aydin <ke...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> > My main motivation - we've literally spent the last few months on shiny
> > bugs, ironed many out, and I'm just paranoid about going through such
> > a thing again.  It's *really* good to run through some cycles and
> > say "yep, it all works" before you trust Pending and CFJing.  (That's
> > what AP were meant to be, the temporary "we know it works" kludge while
> > we were testing shinies - my shinies proposal basically finishes that
> > phase off by repealing AP).
> >

> I'm not sure shinies are a good or fair starting point. I just go a
> bunch of money, partly because I invested in a stamp, but partly
> because I happened to be around and able to respond quickly to the
> situation before money ran out.

Not arguing against a shiny reset - I think the current holdings are
all over the place.  Main thing is they exist and can kickstart things
quickly.

> Also, keeping shinies around as a way to pay for things might
> discourage people from investing in the new economy, because what's
> the point in getting paper if you can do everything it can more
> cheaply with shinies?

The proto currently keeps AP which is the biggest brake of all.

> Another random late night thought: why not give everyone a free piece
> of unoccupied land in the welcome package? It would give them a way to
> start participating in the new economy, rather than having to wait to
> win an auction.

I think we should start with competitive gameplay to get people bought
in.  A massive auction to drain current shinies, selling pretty much
enough land to everyone who participates gets one.  If you hand one
thing to everyone for free, people will shrug/ignore and not value it.
If you have slow-paced auctions (like current land), then a few will
get lucky and things will then stagnate.

But hold a huge buy-in auction?  With shinies to go away if not used
in the auction?  That's actual gameplay and people are far more likely
to jump in and then value their purchases.