On Sun, 19 Nov 2017, Reuben Staley wrote:
> On 11/19/2017 5:26 PM, Kerim Aydin wrote:> On Sun, 19 Nov 2017, Reuben Staley
> wrote:
> > > Title: Putting Agora on a Map v3
> > > Author: Trigon
> > > Co-Authors: Aris, ATMunn, G., o, VJ Rada
> >
> > Just to be clear; you're consciously getting rid of shinies, and
> > making it so you need Land to make Coins, but you need Coins to
> > buy land.  I'm really asking you to address this, I would greatly
> > appreciate it.  I'm trying to understand why this is not a circular
> > collapse like we've been going through already.
>
> I don't have an answer for that. On the one hand this makes it seem like we
> should reimplement shinies; however I'm hesitant to do that because it would
> distance the main economy from this mechanic which is going to be central to
> Agoran play if this proposal is passed. So we can't keep it the way it is or
> the economy will crash, but we can't change it back without ruining the plans
> for this proposal.

(I'm assuming this reply wasn't meant to be private - redirecting to
discussion!)

How about this:  The proposal I just pended should fix Shinies more or
less, to the extent that you don't have to repeal them and they can be
used as the Auction Currency in your proposal.  You can forget about them
otherwise.

Once someone's tested it through your production cycle, we turn off the
Shiny-pays-for-Pend and Shiny-pays-for-CFJ so the only way to pend/cfj
is through your cycle.  Finally, once we're sure there's coins in
circulation, we can finally retire shinies for coins.

My main motivation - we've literally spent the last few months on shiny
bugs, ironed many out, and I'm just paranoid about going through such
a thing again.  It's *really* good to run through some cycles and
say "yep, it all works" before you trust Pending and CFJing.  (That's
what AP were meant to be, the temporary "we know it works" kludge while
we were testing shinies - my shinies proposal basically finishes that
phase off by repealing AP).

> > If only to say "yes, it's really integral to my idea to ditch
> > shinies" (and how our currency supply is protected) that would
> > be great.
> >
> > I would also like to know what game benefit the officers enjoy
> > in this economy, because I'm not seeing it - missed something?
> > That one's really non-negotiable for me personally (even when I'm
> > not an officer).
>
> I honestly hadn't even thought about the relationship between officers and
> their involvement in the new economy, other than the already existing rewards
> system. Can you explain to me what other benefits you thing they should get
> from this system?

Well the already-existing rewards system depends on those shinies of
course!  So if you are ok with the shiny-transition idea, you don't need
to worry about this because it's there.  Otherwise, I'll have a think
about an idea or two, knowing you're open to it.