Hi,
The answer is "It Depends". Each gives a slightly different view on the
data. The local I, combined with the moran scatter plot will give you a
feel for whether or not a location is an outlier, or clustered with it's
neighbors. Global I over local windows can give you a feel for whether or
not the auto-correlation is constant (stationary) over the study
region. Geographically weighted regression is also useful in this context
(ala fotheringham, brunsdon, and charleton)

My personal view is that in an exploratory context, one should use several
indices and look at the features of the data, as well as all the basic
stuff, scatter plots, histograms etc. The variogram cloud can also give
some insight, though the variogram must be used with caution on lattice
processes.

I think someone also mentioned this already, but there are some nice
packages in R for this type of analysis (spweights and sptests).

Nicholas

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have come across studies that have used local Moran's I and ones that have
> used global Moran's I but calculated using local windows.  Each method can
> be used to create a map of Moran's I values to explore the pattern of
> spatial autocorrelation on the surface.
> 
> For exploratory purposes, is one better than the other?
> 
> Thank you,
> 
> Kevin
> 
> 
> --
> * To post a message to the list, send it to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> * As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary of any useful 
>responses to your questions.
> * To unsubscribe, send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with no subject and 
>"unsubscribe ai-geostats" followed by "end" on the next line in the message body. DO 
>NOT SEND Subscribe/Unsubscribe requests to the list
> * Support to the list is provided at http://www.ai-geostats.org
> 

                 CH3
                  |
                  N             Nicholas Lewin-Koh
                 / \            Dept of Statistics
           N----C   C==O        Program in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
          ||   ||   |           Iowa State University
          ||   ||   |           Ames, IA 50011
          CH    C   N--CH3      http://www.public.iastate.edu/~nlewin
            \  / \ /            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
             N    C
             |   ||             Currently
            CH3   O             Graphics Lab
                                School of Computing
                                National University of Singapore
     The Real Part of Coffee    [EMAIL PROTECTED]


--
* To post a message to the list, send it to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary of any useful 
responses to your questions.
* To unsubscribe, send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with no subject and "unsubscribe 
ai-geostats" followed by "end" on the next line in the message body. DO NOT SEND 
Subscribe/Unsubscribe requests to the list
* Support to the list is provided at http://www.ai-geostats.org

Reply via email to