Hi list,

I have some coding and theoretical questions regarding the Moran's I index and the R + spdep packages.

- To illustrate the situation of the sampling plot:

http://users.pandora.be/requested/thesis/a1grid.gif
(coordinates in lat lon projection, point size representative for sample value)


- The data distribution:

http://users.pandora.be/requested/thesis/hista1.gif
(haven't tested for normality yet)


=> My method to get my Moran's I index in R + spdep:


a1.knn <- knearneigh(a1$coords, k=4, lonlat=TRUE)
#with a1$coords the latlon coords out of a geoR geodata file

a1.nb <- knn2nb(a1.knn)
# conversion to nb object

a1.listw <- nb2listw(a1.nb)
# conversion to listw object, requested for moran.test()

results <- moran.test(a1$data, a1.listw, randomization=FALSE, alternative="two.sided")

The results show the following statistics:

moran.test(a1$data, a1.listw, randomisation=FALSE, alternative="two.sided")

Moran's I test under normality


data:  a1$data
weights: a1.listw

Moran I statistic standard deviate = 0.2911, p-value = 0.771
alternative hypothesis: two.sided
sample estimates:
Moran I statistic       Expectation          Variance
      -0.03762590       -0.08333333        0.02464896

With a Moran's I of -0.04 and a p-value of 0.771 I would say this isn't much of a statistic or not exactly what I expected.

I would think that since I evaluate ecological/biophysical paramters it wouldn't be possible to get negative correlations since in vegetations there is always some kind of autocorrelation involved. It could be just a little but certainly not negative.

Strange thing is that I get the same weights in my weights class of my a1.listw file

a1.listw$weights
[[1]]
[1] 0.25 0.25 0.25 0.25

[[2]]
[1] 0.25 0.25 0.25 0.25

[[3]]
[1] 0.25 0.25 0.25 0.25
...

I think it has something to do with the k-value in knearneigh(), but even if I change it to 8 (changing from bishops/rooks to queens case?) they stay the same. Any idea why this is the case?

So maybe the strange statistics could be a problem of a faulty weights matrix. So if you have any comments on the code/method used it would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Koen.

--
* To post a message to the list, send it to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary of any useful 
responses to your questions.
* To unsubscribe, send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with no subject and "unsubscribe 
ai-geostats" followed by "end" on the next line in the message body. DO NOT SEND 
Subscribe/Unsubscribe requests to the list
* Support to the list is provided at http://www.ai-geostats.org

Reply via email to