"Red" (Dick Cavender) is gardening near Portland, Oregon, where I
also live. It is not unusual for Cyclamen hederifolium to survive for
decades in the Pacific Northwest and to form very large tubers (not
corms or bulbs). I suppose we lack some predators that would attack
them in other parts of the world, though the introduced eastern gray
squirrel sometimes does. Our dry summers, augmented by the fact that
many people here grow them near or under conifers, may also add to
their longevity. They self-sow freely and soon appear in adjacent
lawns, where they will persist if no "weed and feed" products are used.

When I moved to my new garden 3 years ago I was faced with three
monstrous Douglas firs near the road frontage, so I underplanted them
with C. hederifolium tubers that I dug up in my old garden. Some of
them were about 20 years old and 8 inches (25 cm) across, the size of
a luncheon if not dinner plate, and all survived the transition. I
marked the white-flowering ones to take along to get a nice color
mixture. I also brought some Cyclamen graecum tubers, which are more
spherical, that were about 5 inches (13 cm) in diameter and put them
in the new rock garden. Cyclamen coum tubers also moved well.

Our correspondent Robin Hansen operates a nursery on the Oregon coast
that is a good source of Cyclamen tubers if you want to get a head
start on them in your garden. Fresh seed germinates better than
stored seed, but stored seed retains some viability and is worth a
try if you are patient with it. I recently had a report of C. graecum
seed from a very long-stored seed bank (stored frozen) that was germinating.