ok..
sorry I couldn't answer earlier...
first, Thanks Karel for sharing your ideas... and NWM/harry/vivia for this
thread.. but I just think it's useless talk...
Karel, I understand what you're saying and you might be right about the splash
screen not being effective... but how much
of our GUI is following HIG? and I don't see how a progress bar, animated logo,
debug "loading XXX" lines would change
anything... in my experience, when a window loads, you can work with it... and
what NWM said is 100% true, the X/Y
position is a huge problem... putting those config in another place is just a
hack and it would give us extra effort for
nothing that is useless.. loading the config first is just plain stupid because
the huuuuuge loading part IS the config
itself... because as vivia said, we need to determine which config to load,
check the ports, timeout, etc.. that's the
part that takes most time... so no way to load config first... and as I said, I
just can't imagine how it would be an
empty amsn window with a 'please wait' in it.. doesn't fit in my head.. and if
we want to keep the x/y/width/height
configuration of the user (which are important) we can't do it this way.. is it
easier for the usr to look at the amsn
window, wait until it loads, mouse ready for clicking on connect, and it
finished loading and bam all of a sudden the
window is placed somewhere else with a different size.. the user will get
lost...!
Also.. to be able to load the menus, etc.. we'll probably need gui.tcl and
maybe some other stuff, since gui.tcl depends
on some other things (like status log, plugins (since a plugin can add
something to the gui which depends on the plugin
log, etc..)  right now, the list of sourced files in the amsn file has a very
specific order.. you switch that order,
everything breaks.. so it might be too late that we show this 'amsn splash'...
unless we refactor the whole bootstrap
process...
in my opinion.. a splash screen might not be the best solution, as Karel
suggested... but it's not the worse either.. I
prefer to have a splash than just nothing.. also, an alternate solution would
require a massive amount of work, and we
don't have anyone to work on that, which means, if we decide "ok, forget the
splash let's do it like Karel said" then
we'll end up in two years with someone posting on the forums "why isn't there a
splash screen" then this discussion will
begin AGAIN (YES, this is the second time I think that we got so close to
having a splash screen and for whatever reason
we didn't do anything...)
Also, people are USED TO splash screens, so even if it's not the best, they
won't be bothered that much since they know
what a splash screen is and they are used to it..
so IMHO, we go with the splash screen solution as it is the one that needs the
least time and effort and that is good
enough to satisfy us and our users and which is the most likely to ever be
implemented some day.
We can't look for the best solution always.. we have to make compromises,
otherwise, we won't advance...

That was my 5c.

KaKaRoTo