Actually this is one place where they're starting to get it right.
Notepad and Wordpad both support Unicaode which is a double-byte
character system (DBCS). I'm not sure how widely supported it is or if
it's compatible with the other DBCS (used by IBM and other more
international aware companies). There is a setting somewhere I think to
tell the system to default to standard (SBCS) intead of Unicode (check
the file|save as file-type list).

We just all need to start thinking in DBCS (or not expect a character to
necessarily be one byte). It make porting to Japanese, Korean, Mandarin,
and Arabic much easier!

Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> Keith Purtell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Somewhere in the process of handling the first copy of the log, I
> > probably used software (Notepad or WordPad) that damaged the file.
> > Another "user error." Thank you, Stephen and Jason!
>
> I certainly hope you're being sarcastic about the software here .. if
> Microsoft really made people _expect_ such stuff to happen, there's
> not much hope.
>
> --
> Ian Zimmerman
> Lightbinders, Inc.
> 2325 3rd Street # 324, San Francisco, CA 94107-3138, U.S.A.

Jeremy Wadsack
OutQuest Magazine
a Wadsack-Allen publication