Thank you both for your response.

If the application is written for Android 1.1, does this change
anything in regards to "and there is a keyboard selected and it allows
this"? I would think that in such an app, since it doesn't know about
soft keyboards, the system soft keyboard would be selected and would
allow this. But perhaps there is more to this. Are you possibly
suggesting that they've installed one of the alternate keyboards? That
would be interesting.

Again, this works on an emulator which I've defined to have no
keyboard, so that is encouraging. At least I think it helps to rule
out the caveat where the app isn't consuming the event, but I will
check this out to be sure as I do catch key events - just not long-
press menu ones, at least not intentionally.

I guess now I would need to know what to tell the user to look for on
their device such that they can get this functionality to work.
Assuming I can get them to contact me or bother to read my web site.

Would the "keyboard selected" refer to the Settings | Locale & Date |
Keyboard [Checked] option?
And then I guess I could refer them to the keyboard settings option
below that to investigate further.

Best Regards,
Eric