On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 1:13 PM, James Webster <jpbwebs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On the Hero and I guess other Androids as well, there is the "Search"
> hardware button. This works in Hero Contacts AND in Launcher, bringing up
> the soft keyboard. Not particulary intuitive I grant you, as you tend to
> look for a button to do that on screen, but it does make sense.

This brings up the global search and can not be used for filtering
ListViews in apps that use global search. (or however it is called:
http://developer.android.com/reference/android/app/Activity.html#onSearchRequested%28%29)

> Of course, in Android tapping any field which would takes text input always
> brings up the keyboard anyway, so it is only an issue in Hero's list apps
> because there isn't a default edit field which you can tap to start typing,
> and thus auto-show the keyboard.
> Is it not the same on the Magic?

The problem is that sometimes (for example filterint ListViews) you do
not have a field to focus. It's not just an issue in Heros list of
apps but it's an issue in all apps that provide filtering for their
ListViews.

Tauno