On HTC Hero,  long-pressing-menu has a completely different default
behavior: it brings up an app switcher with the last six apps. This is
available in almost all applications and makes multitasking very
convenient.

I develop on a Hero now and have to remind myself this is a non-
standard HTC thing. Fragmentation, indeed! Ordinary HTC users are
probably so used to this behavior they would consider Android phones
without it as broken. :-)