On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 1:18 AM, tauntz <tau...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem with long-pressing-menu not working is this: HTC Hero. It just
> does NOT work there with the default keyboard.

Then they changed/broke something.  (Which of those it is probably depends
on whether it is their IME doing this or actually the framework being
broken).  At any rate, long press on menu has ALWAYS been there purely as a
very last resort for pre-1.5 apps that couldn't have been written knowing
about input methods.  It is a super-sucky mechanism to get to the soft
keyboard, and anyone writing an app today really should assume it doesn't
exist and provide a decent UI as part of their app.

> The bottom line is that due to platform fragmentation there's no "standard"
> way to bring up the keyboard - different platform implementations use a
> totally different concept for it.

Long press on menu is NOT what you should be making your users do.
Seriously.  It sucks.  Who would guess that is how you get to a keyboard?
Please give them a decent UI.

> If you want to support such devices, you could detect if a device is a HTC
> Hero/(or some other device that does not use long-menu-press) and if it is,
> then use a different layout in your app (eg display a button that brings up
> the virtual keyboard). Or do some other ugly ugly hacks (I'll burn in hell
> for suggesting this, right?:P)

It's easy: if there isn't a hard keyboard (which can control resource
selection as well as being info available in Resources.getConfiguration()),
then make a UI that interacts in a nice way with the soft keyboard.  Also
consider doing this even if there is a hard keyboard.  Like, uh, the
standard platform and apps do everywhere.  You -never- make people use long
press on menu to enter text.  Because it sucks.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

answer them.