On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 5:42 PM, chris harper <ch393...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So what you are saying is that Android development doesn't really want
> developers building applications that use Flash?

Only a few phones have Flash at this point so, no, I would not suggest using
it.

Longer term...  well, it would be problematic for this to become a standard
part of the Android SDK.  Given that flash is proprietary, that would leave
us with the platform becoming dependent on someone else's proprietary code
in order to support these apps.  This is very counter to a basic philosophy
of Android, that the entire platform is open-source and thus you don't need
to someone's proprietary code to build an "android compatible" device.

(And to head off the inevitable cries about not really being open-source --
yes there are bits and pieces that are not open source, such as hardware
drivers and applications like Market.  This is a far cry from baking
dependencies on non-open-source code into the standard APIs, though.)

> But it now sounds like if anyone wants to develop an Android app that uses
> Flash it'll be more of a gamble and might not work for most devices or at
> the least be a hassle for the end user to make it work because they would
> have to install Flash plugins.

I can't tell you what devices Flash may or may not be available on, because
it is owned by Adobe.  Clearly they have a self-interest in getting it as
widely spread as possible, but from the perspective of the platform we can't
make any guarantees about who can include it on a device, the kinds of
hardware it can run on, and how well it would perform.  And that is one of
the big rubs.

> It is kind of disappointing because if Android and Adobe can get together
> and start supporting development of applications that use Flash then that
> would be an Ace in the hole for making Android apps far better than the
> IPhone.

The first step for having some technology adopted for the standard Android
platform is to make it available under an open-source license that is
compatible with the rest of the platform.  Somehow, I don't see this
happening for Flash. :}

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer