In the version of this I sent Friday I included HTML coding which was acted on
rather than just displayed, hiding what I was trying to illustrate. The version
below tries to get around this.

My original trials were with IE 5.5 (under Win98) since then I've also tried
several other browsers, all under XP, with the following results as to display
and apparent compression. I got the same results using the file quoted below
and also with a .adp that didn't have any HTML tags.

The third and fourth columns indicate whether, with compression off and on
respectively, anything was displayed in the browser and the bytes-sent value
from access.log

Browser        ACCEPT_ENCODING  off/Disp:len  on/Disp:len
IE 5.5         gzip, deflate    yes:247       no:210
IE 6.0         deflate          yes:247       yes:247
Firefox 1.0.1  gzip,deflate     yes:247       yes:210
Netscape 7.2   gzip,deflate     yes:247       yes:210

The way I read this is that:
IE 5.5 says it can handle gzip, but cannot display it, displays empty page.
IE 6.0 says it cannot handle gzip and ns_adp_compress does not compress.
Firefox and Netscape say they can handle gzip and in fact can.

These are not the results I was expecting for IE. Can anyone suggest how to get
more useful results with IE?

--------
My post of Friday, February 25, amended:

Can anyone offer pointers on using ns_adp_compress?

The following in an .adp file results in a blank page (HTML structure tags with
no body content) being returned:

# Usual HTML, HEAD and BODY tags
<h2>ADP page from AOLserver 4.0.10</h2>
this is a test<br><br>
<%= [ns_httptime [ns_time]] %>
<%
  ns_adp_puts "<br>Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the
party."
%>
#Usual BODY and HTML end tags
<%  ns_adp_compress on %>

However with <%  ns_adp_compress off %> it returns the expected results.

No error is reported to the server log. The configuration passed the make test
supplied with the release.

access.log shows that that length of what is being returned is a little shorter
with adp_compress on.

Browser is IE 5.5 [see other results above]

Thanks very much,

Eric Lee
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--