OK, that may explain IE 5.5, which is admittedly kind of an antique. What
about IE 6.0 - not broken but is it in fact incapable of handling
compressed input?

>From my post:
>Browser  ACCEPT_ENCODING  off/Disp:len  on/Disp:len
>IE 5.5  gzip, deflate   yes:247   no:210
>IE 6.0  deflate   yes:247   yes:247
>The way I read this is that:
>IE 5.5 says it can handle gzip, but cannot display it, displays empty page.
>IE 6.0 says it cannot handle gzip and ns_adp_compress does not compress.

Apache docs on it's approach to compression at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_deflate.html
seem to say they do additional vetting of browsers before deciding to send
something compressed.

A good deal of the pressure on me to do this is coming from my ISP whose
lines are getting overloaded. As I understand it, this affects everyone who
comes to my server, not just narrowband users. Perhaps I've just outgrown
this ISP?

Eric