Tino Didriksen wrote:
> LinearDoc is functionally identical to what I suggested based on the
actual
> implementation I wrote for GramTrans years ago. It works very well, and
> since Wikimedia ended up with the same structure as the only real
solution,
> then that shows it's pretty much the only way that'll work.

Interesting -- and reassuring!

We picked up the idea from VisualEditor, which uses a similar linear
structure to allow diff storage and text splicing:
 https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/VisualEditor/Software_design#Data_Structures

Two places where we are aware of issues are links (<a href ...>) and
directionality boundaries (<span dir=....>), both of which work differently
if you split them. The actual data structure we use is slightly different
because of this.

Thanks,