Hi all,

> Bernard,

[...]

Interesting. I don't know when it was created

> It was deployed late last December. The website/server code itself is
> identical
> to the code that has been on apertium.org for many years. The only
> distinction
> on beta.apertium.org is the number of pairs installed on the server.

Yeah, beta.apertium.org is something several of us had been discussing for
a while.  It required a few pieces to come together just right: DNS
settings—which got set up in early 2017—and some automation for getting all
the modules downloaded and compiled, which Sushain did shortly before the
site went live.

The additional existence of Bernard's site certainly doesn't hurt.  Is the
code for it available somewhere?

> But I never saw a page speaking about https://beta.apertium.org/
>> that may be the reason why I ignored thisq website.

It probably would've been good to announce its existence on this list.
Sorry about not thinking to do that.

> Indeed, there is no dedicated page for the site on the Wiki.
>
> With regards to the source browser, it is intentionally written for new
> browsers.
> Its new JS syntax would need transpilation for older browser support and
> the tooling to support that is complex. As for it requiring scripts to
> execute
> rather than being built by the server, the intention was to avoid a real
> server that
> then has to juggle GitHub API keys. This way, the only requirement is a
> static
> file server which GitHub provides for free (and every modern machine, even
> Windows, has built-in). I have no problem with another version being built
> for
> very old browsers (but am not planning to do so myself).

Well it sounds like Bernard's code does that.  Is it available somewhere?
It seems like something worth making available for those interested in
legacy browser support or more traditional web design practices.

--
Jonathan