And now I'm beginning to feel like someone pulled the teeth of my
Pentium and sent me back to the dark ages of 286.  Arachne is taking
FOREVER to load pages from cache, to load pages like the 'print utility'
and let's not even talk about how long it is taking to load some web
pages. :<

l.d.,

Remember when I was complaining about horribly slow Arachne 1.48 and 1.50 were,
and 1.50src refused to install for me?  Now 1.61 is much faster, though not
really fast enough on heavy-graphics pages.  I make extensive use of DOS Lynx386
on about.com and ZDNet.

Well, Norton says the system has a computing index of 792.7 ... so I'm
not running like a 286.  Arachne has plenty of conventional memory to
play with when this happens [online with 124K memory available], there's
50K of free XMS to swap to and from, there's plenty of space to spare
for tmp files on the HDD with 34Mb, there's 10Mbytes of RAMdrive for the
TEMP directory & Temp *is* set for there.  So why does it take 20-30
seconds just to delete mail, and even longer to load some of the system
utilities like printing and such?

I am not familiar with Norton's computing index, don't know how to interpret
792.7.  When I run Arachne 1.61, I have normally 49 KB (!!!) (in red) free low
memory, but much better on XMS, something like 2 MB (?).  I am now using
NWCACHE but no VDISK (DR-DOS equivalent of RAMDRIVE, I believe), don't know what
I'll use when I get back to OS/2 Warp 4 VDM.  I still haven't trusted
Arachne/Insight with large numbers of email messages.  CACHE directory is
getting fat with mostly deadwood; I don't know how to save the few useful items
I might wish to save while getting rid of the junk.

I recently downloaded a .ZIP file of > 500 KB with Arachne 1.61, found it by
carefully checking the CACHE directory and noting the size, then moved and
renamed the file to a safer location.  I wish I could make it download to the
DOWNLOAD directory or other user-selected directory.