In a message dated 12/2/02 2:10:37 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Alypius Skinner wrote

So the real

> question is whether the optimal balance would be one of no public

> redistribution or some public redistribution.  If there were no public

> redistribution, there would be no need for a state, yet if a state

did not

> exist, one would soon emerge  because the stateless society would be

so

> obviously suboptimal for an economy beyond the level of the hunter

gatherer.

[...]

I would

> certainly argue that the current level of public redistribution is

above the

> optimum rather than below it--probably well above.  But I would not

argue

> that the optimum is zero public redistribution.

> Of course, this question of whether we should have an inherently

> redistributionist public sector is a different question than whether

the

> public sector should micromanage the private sector.

But this argument does not sound like "striking a balance between

compassion for our fellow man and maintaining the incentives for

temptation-prone people" as you first put it. But more like finding the

optimal balance for the sake of our own self interest - however

narrowly defined. Either way, I still cannot the logical argumnet why

striking this balance is done more optimal using force, than

voluntarily [btw: I do not disagree that something resembling states as

we know them will emerge from a stateless society - but I do disagree

that they necessarily must be based on cohersion - this I believe

follows directly from your argument that some form of state is in

everybodys (save very few) self interest].

- jacob braestrup

- jacob >>

Yes, it strikes me as odd that anyone would seek to measure my compassion by
my willingness to use the government's monopoly (or in the American case,
quasi-monopoly) on the legitimized use of force to transfer income earned by
Jacob and Alypius to some third party.   While there may be perfectly
non-redistributive means of funding that monopoly, inadvertantly
redistributing a tiny fraction of incomes by funding a tiny government with
minimal taxes differs profoundly from using large, deliberately
redistributive taxes to fund massive, deliberately redistributive social
welfare and corporate protectionist programs.

David Levenstam