Hi,

if you are following Pierre's advice and still getting *that* error
message my best guess is that you are getting an error while
installing one of the packages that aroma.affymetrix depends on, which
in turn probably will fail the installation of aroma.affymetrix
itself.  The reason why one of the required packages didn't install,
may because your R version is far too old.  So, update R, then retry
again.

More details: The installation code - hbInstall() - assumes that the
installation went well and at the end tries to download and install
patches.  Since it did install well, you'll get that error on a too
old version.  I've updated that piece of the code not to try to patch
if installation failed.

Hope this helps

Henrik