Hi Norm

I agree - RFID or similar technology is the only viable way to track assets
leaving the building.  RFID scans at all exits can detect assets leaving the
building, and if staff and visitor security badges are also RFID enabled,
you will know who they left with.  The capabilities and storage capacity of
both active and passive RFID tags are really quite large and the number of
possible uses is growing.  Not just Walmart using it for all items entering
their store delivery entrances for stock control, but tracking people, like
patients in hospitals (where did that alzheimer's case wander off to?),
stopping visitors entering secure areas, etc.

Then you can do asset inventories by using hand-held scanners to capture
asset details from RFID tags, or set rooms up with built-in RFID scanners to
do automatic inventories.  The only problem you have to overcome is tags
becoming 'separated' from the assets.

I'm not saying that SMS etc. are useless - they're just not much good for
tracking missing assets.  Others have pointed out the good points, like
helping to manage software and config changes.  Systems like SMS are ideal
candidates for federated CMDB data - you don't want all that volatile data
duplicated in Remedy, but you want to be able to drill-down into SMS from
your CMDB when you need those extra details.

As far as 'closing the loop' for change requests is concerned, again I don't
think this is SMS's strong point.  For that there are agent-based solutions
that will monitor changes being made in real-time on key assets, file
systems, databases, etc. and correlate them to authorized changes.  Take a
look at Active Reasoning's Policy Management tools which can integrate into
ARS if this sort of thing interest you.  With systems like this you can
review what changes really happened, as opposed to what was authorized in
the Change Request, or automatically create tickets when unauthorized access
or changes are detected.

Regards

David Sanders

Remedy Solution Architect