Agreed.

I think ARS needs to be more pronounced as the benefit of the system.

Meaning - ITIL is a commoditizer. If ITSM 7 is ITIL -- and the next product
(1/50 the cost) is also ITIL -- it will be a hard sell to mgmt that they
have to have BMC ARS....

Now - if they change it to be ARS is an service management (generic vs just
IT) platform of which it has applications like ITSM (Service Desk, Problem
Mgmt, Asset Mgmt, CMDB) etc... -- and has tools and strategies for extending
into other areas -- then it is an easier sell. The real sell is the platform
- and the direction/vision. However -- the platform (ARS) -- needs to have a
life of its own - and be respectable on its own -- not shunned.

And they need to communicate that it has other applications like: Customer
Support, Project Management, HR application tracking, HR Issue management,
Facilities Management, etc...

Then companies will be standardizing on a service framework. With that being
the case - it will be hard for a company who has an ITIL app (at 1/50th the
cost) -- to compete. They may have a story for ITIL processes -- but it
would be a huge leap for them to compete against all the offerings.

So - how does BMC do this?

I know of partners that have the apps already:
BMC has:
ITSM , etc...
-Customer Support
-Citizen Response

Kinetic Data has:
-Kinetic Request -- Service Request Management System
-Kinetic Survey -- Enterprise Feedback Management System
-Kinetic Field - Field Service Management System

Project Remedies has:
-Project Management

cMango/Wipro has:
- HR Application

Now if BMC would gather the partners - and create a partner program that
encourages collaboration and consistency across the apps provided -- then a
cohesive message can be delivered. BMC could have had something like
Appforce by Salesforce.com -- if they had planned. (I had this conversation
4+ years ago with marketing at Remedy - but it did not go anywhere) I think
they could still pull it off - but it takes commitment (and changes of
course)

Changes/challeges:
If BMC were to do this - they would naturally see and have early involvement
with organizations who are doing "great things" -- and they would want to
move into that app space and take all the revenue (note: Kinetic Request and
newScale Service Center). But - they must contain themselves or they
actually kill the market - as successful organizations that join the partner
program actually lose by joining. So - BMC continues to own and improve
their core offering of ARS itself and the existing apps - but BMC must
control itself from eating its partners who are expanding the vision in ways
that they had not predicted.

Other notes:
BMC licensing to change:
You buy the server and developer licenses.
For your apps (Service Desk, CMDB, etc...) BMC charges user licenses.
For access to the server itself -- FREE.(read or write)

So - a Kinetic Data with Kinetic Field would be strengthening the overall
service management platform (a win for BMC (harder to displace with
commodity ITIL) -- Kinetic Data would be a able to sell it's apps at what
the market will accept (without the BMC user license overhead -- which kills
the deal for many apps) (a win for Kinetic Data) -- and customers now can
leverage their investment (people/training/servers/infrastructure) in ARS
across a number of service related products (a win for the customer)

I think it would be cool - and I think it is a vision that people could
comprehend (aka buy).

So again - BMC creates a true knowledge share / non-competitive partner
program. BMC sells the ARS platform as the framework. (customers win, BMC
wins, partners win, and ARS fanatics - well - they stay fanatics (and the
ARS world does not die))

-John