http://itsm.unt.edu/ <http://itsm.unt.edu/>

From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bilinski, John
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2008 12:23 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Question: Is anyone out there running Mid-Tier v7.1.0 on a
64-bit Windows 2003 OS with a 64-bit JVM?

**

All,

I just got off the phone with BMC Technical Support and they told me
that they do not support nor recommend running Mid-Tier v7.1.0 on top of
a 64-bit Java Virtual Machine. The reason why they do not support this
is because their engineer's have not completed their testing Mid-Tier
7.1.0 with a 64-bit JVM. They did say that some of their customers are
running this configuration anyway and some are not running into any
issues but of course could not give me any people to talk too nor any
details. This is not good because the first time around I talked to
Remedy Support and they assured me that they supported 64-bit OS's and
that the server configuration below would handle what we want to
accomplish so, confidently I ordered the servers. Now, to my surprise, I
caught a sub-clause in their compatibility matrix that said they do not
support the 64-bit JVM. This is bad news.

I would like to know if there is anyone out there that has this setup
(below) or something like it, and I would like to know, if any, what
bugs have you experienced with running Mid-Tier over a 64-bit JVM?

We plan to run 2 load balanced Mid-Tier servers each with Quad Xeon
Intel based processors with 16GB of RAM using Windows 2003 64-bit as the
OS and Tomcat as the JVM. We can only use Windows server so UNIX and
Solaris are out of the question.

We plan to deploy the Mid-Tier to out customer base as part of a
front-end customer support website where customers can submit and update
their own tickets. We plan to scale the aforementioned server
configuration out to about 20,000 customers.

Will the 2 Web Servers support that type of environment? Also, with that
many customers to be supported could those 2 servers also handle another
100 licensed Support Staff?

Are their any other options?

Thanks.

html___