That may not be entirely true; if the home page server and preference
server are the same, and the preference record only specifies that you
are authenticating against one of the names, you can have all three
listed in the mid-tier config without an issue.  This is the approach
we take; the default value for the field in the user preference record
is the name of the auth server as defined in the mid-tier config.

Axton Grams