"Maybe the Mid-Tier needs to have a kind of "IP-Names" setting for ARS
server aliases to allow for this kind of thing instead of needing to
configure the Mid-tier to talk to "multiple" ARS servers. ( Not to
mention needing to store the same password in multiple places on the
Mid-Tier and to change it in multiple places when it changes.)"

That would one approach.  Another would be to not cross-reference the
ar server name provided by the user against the configured servers,
but instead create a session and verify whether the target (provided
by the user) resolves to one of the servers configured in the
mid-tier, regardless of whether the name is explicitly listed as a
server or not.

The thing that originally took me down registering the same server
under different names was flashboards.  FB's will not render unless
the name of the server they used to authenticate is explicitly listed
in the server list in the mid-tier config (this applies to the user
tool).  That's to say if a user logged in to rdev01, which is aliased
as remdev, and only remdev was listed as the arservers in the mid-tier
config, they fb would return an error and not render.

Axton Grams