From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList) <arslist@ARSLIST.ORG>
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG <arslist@ARSLIST.ORG>
Sent: Wed Dec 17 08:48:14 2008
Subject: Re: floating licenses

Dave, thanks for responding. I understand how licenses work, I just do
not think that a float license should be assigned until such case that
one is needed; it messes up how many licenses are actually needing to be
used at one time.

> As defined, "When a search, modify, or submit is performed, AR System
checks for an available Floating Write license token.

Why should it? A write license is not required at this point
unless/until a modify of another person's ticket is occurring, with
submitter mode locked. If it is consuming a license prior to this point,
basically any time the user uses the system, then I'm using more
licenses than I should be. That means that if I have 100 users that
might modify 5 other people's tickets per month, but 200 of their own,
then I most likely will be running out of licenses every day.

I should be able to have 25 licenses for 100 users if they each only
modify five tickets per month, because they each only require a write
license for those five modifications.

I wrote filters that track the different submit/mod own/mod other each
time someone performs one, and it increments a counter in another table
so that I know exactly how many licenses I need.

We currently have everyone on fixed licenses, but I think that is a
waste.

Thanks,

Gary Opela, Jr.