We are trying to build this out for our site as we upgrade from 7.1 to 7.5 in
another case where we don't have Asset Mgmt, and have already seen a number of
issues:

1. The Topology Discovery and Foundation Discovery 1.6 product only works with
7.1, not 7.5.

2. The 7.5 version is called BMC Atrium Discovery and Dependency Mapping (ADDM)
and replaces the other two mainly in that it is a single installation; it is
required to work with CMDB 7.5.

3. <RANT> We just purchased the Topology Discovery and Foundation Discovery
product, downloaded 1.6, then found we needed the newer version to work with
7.5, and THEN were told that it is a "different" product (horse#*%^) and that
we did not have access to it (7.5 was released while our Discovery purchase was
being processed).  If you read the ADDM 7.5 docs they show clearly that is the
upgrade AND BUG FIX for the earlier 1.6 product, so no, it is the same product,
just renamed and renumbered like everything else in the BMC stable.  So, buyer
beware - they are trying to run a shell game on us here. </RANT>

4. The db for either one of these products must be case sensitive. Most of use
running ARS against SQL Server have never even installed it with case sensitive
collation, so I plan to set up a separate SQL Server just for Discovery; I
can't use any of my existing servers which are all case insensitive.

5. BMC docs indicate that Discovery should be on its own server, separate from
ARS and anything else, and that the db should be separate; my plan is to put
the SQL Server and Discovery server on a dedicated box, at least at first, if
we can ever get to the 7.5 code.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/