If you specify in the service's setting which domain account to run as it
shouldn't matter who is starting the service or if it is auto/manually
started.  The credentials are stored with the service (this may not be
technically true but is from a user's perception).  When the service is
setup to run a user other than a default local service account it will
prompt you for that account's password once and keep it.  When the service
is started it will run as that user now no matter who is starting it.  For
example the service is configured to run as domain\emailuser and if
domain\user1 or servername\user2 start the service it will run as
domain\emailuser.

It may also be worth going in to the service and re-selecting the domain
user.  It will authenticate and will rule out the account being locked or
the password being changed.

Jason