ARUtilities also has a diary field editor.  But the arx method works and is
free :)

You can safely (if I am wrong please correct me) replace parts of a string
in a diary field at the db level.  Where issues can come into play is where
the diary field entries for a record start and stop.  In your example with
an SSN say the diary field has the string "customer's SSN is 111-22-3333."
You could update it to "customer's SSN is xxx-xx-xxxx.".  This comes with
all of the normal warnings when you make changes at the db level.

Jason