From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of strauss
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:32 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Survey Monkey

**
Remember that Kinetic Survey and Kinetic Request are the same application with
different license keys.  When it comes to $$$, Kinetic Request is
_significantly_ less expensive than SRM (and far easier to implement and
maintain).  We got our value from the Request side of the app, and only bought
the Lite license for Survey - which may be all that you need to implement a
follow-up survey process.  The Kinetic apps ARE Remedy apps - everything they
do is inside the ARSystem database, so direct integration to ITSM or a custom
app is relatively easy.  The web portal is NOT a mid-tier app, which allows it
to work with a wider range of browsers, so it makes for a VERY effective
customer portal and service catalog.

Survey Monkey is a foreign app to Remedy, and I had to spend six months prying
data out of it and forcing it into a usable form when I did my dissertation
research, and I was NOT impressed.  We license it in various departments at the
university for quick and dirty surveys with an easy to use question development
interface, but the data side of it is filthy.  When you download data to .csv
for import into a database like MS Access, ultimately for import into SPSS (the
Excel spreadsheet formats are difficult to use for that), it re-defines the
column IDs for the questions and responses in ways that add hours to process of
combining data sets.  If you don't mind a lot of manual hand-jamming of data
into a usable format, it does provide excellent questionnaire development and
user tracking - that's why we use it!  On the other hand, it would be my _last_
choice for "integration" into a Remedy app, based on my experience with the
data it produces.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/