Table looping works pretty much as you described.  Search for "Table Loop"
in the workflow objects guide.  Page 134 of the 7.1 guide has a section on
"Using filter guides in server-side table fields" that might help.
Basically, when the workflow hits the filter guide, it "selects" the first
row in the table, processes all the filters in the guide using that row's
data, then selects the next row, processes all the filters in the guide
using the 2nd row's data, and so on.  (technically, its not "selecting" the
row in the way you'd think of it on the client side, but you can
conceptually think of it that way.)

Sorry to hear about you getting laid off.  The good news is there's a fair
amount of Remedy job postings on the list these days.

Thad