From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of strauss
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:53 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Email Issue

**

You won't like the answer, but our 7.1.00.002 server has experienced random
hangs of the MAPI email system since it went live in May 2008, with an
Incident opened in June 2008 that was NEVER RESOLVED.  Also on Windows 2003
x64, with Outlook 2007 SP1 connecting to Exchange 2007, with archiving set
up to keep the number of sent emails in Exchange down to a month's worth
(25,000 to 40,000 messages).  A nightly escalation moves all Sent mail to an
archive folder, so there is never more than one day's mail in the Messages
form.  Outgoing and incoming mail interval is 3 minutes, which usually keeps
the queue below 60 messages at any given interval.

Over the years since this system went live, support has shipped me
everything they could think of in the way of modified or instrumented email
engines (up to 7.1.00.004), and nothing that they came up with prevented the
three types of errors:

1. The aremaild.exe process hangs at over 1200 handles with no errors
generated in messages or logs of any kind (normal is 700 to 800 handles
idle, 1000 to 1300 while processing)

2. A java error appears in the Event Log and the service is hung

3. A error is logged in an hs_err_pid####.log file in the \Office12 folder,
and the service is hung

In most cases the Windows service is hung and cannot be manually stopped in
a normal fashion - it will stop eventually, but issues a message about not
responding. Rarely, you might have to kill the actual process from the Task
Manager. Also rarely, the service is still running but MAPI processing has
stopped (our patch 4 build writes a mapi.log continuously) and you can
restart the service more or less normally (does not hang while trying to
stop).

I have had problems with the AREmail engine on Windows with MAPI ever since
they switched it to java, it's just dramatically worse in 7.1.  We just live
with it, keeping a query open in a User Tool 24 hours a day where we can see
it for Email messages where Send = Yes, refreshing every 5 minutes, and when
the screen fills (= over 100 messages) we restart the service.  A schedule
task runs a batch job three times a day, 5:45 AM, PM, and 11:45 PM that does
a net stop and a net start of the service.  I disabled a fourth one at 11:45
AM because whenever it fired with a lot of messages in the from waiting to
go out, it often hung within the next 15 minutes.

During testing with ARS 7.5 on Windows 2008 R2 we saw even worse problems
with MAPI - the service would not process mail unless you had a console
open, logged in under the account that ran the email service, and you had
started the service from there!!  We plan to use SMTP and POP for 7.6.0x; it
seems to work reliably enough, but then so did 7.1 MAPI back in 2008, until
it was put under a normal production load.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/