The "managing all the parent/child relationships and maintaining people/user
records when those relationships change" is part of I was getting at.  The
effort to maintain the result of what is a fairly easy customization as well
as any unexpected data leakage.  The ITSM suite is not designed for
hierarchical groups so making this customization is changing the permissions
model the apps were designed around.

Jason