Christopher,

That was a great post and is where some people are confused.  One of my
customers is convinced that the SRM app is going to handle all Service
Requests.  I just started there and I have a little damage control on some
miss guided advice over there.  For anyone who is not familiar with SRM.
SRM is merely a customer facing portal.  The customer will submit Service
Requests that are defined for them on the portal.  These defined requests
are then passed to Incidents, Work-Orders, Changes, or your own custom form.
This is dependent on the business rules that have been established for each
service request.  There is no Service Request Management application for
support staff to work service requests.

Another area of miss understanding is the Incident Management application
itself.  In ITILv2 Incident Management, Request Fulfillment, and Event
Management all fell under Incident Management.  In ITILv3 these were split
out.  The naming of the Incident Management app comes from ITILv2.  This is
where confusion and water boarding happens.

Another area that is common is what applications organizations own and have
licensed.  BMC's license model use to be each app had to be purchased
separately in addition to their user licenses.  Now you get the whole suite
for one great low price, plus of coarse user licenses.  Most organizations
have transferred from the old model to the new.  However, they have not
bought user licenses for all the applications and continue to put everything
in the Incident Management application.  So many organizations have become
creative with how they use Incident Management app to incorporate all there
processes.  In a perfect world they would own all the apps and everyone in
the organization from the janitor all the way up to the executive management
would understand ITIL inside and out.

This is why everyone has different ways of setting up categorization and
huge debates on what should be there.  It really doesn't matter if you use
Tier 1- Blue, Tier 2-Green, and Tier 3-Purple for your categorization.  As
long as the organization knows what that means and it is import to them.
This is the whole premise behind ITIL.  Standardize on Processes,
Procedures, Services, and Terminology.  It's not necessarily about industry
best practices, it's about an organizations best practices.  A lot of
organizations have focused on industry best practices and completely forgot
about theirs.  The problem here is that they got rid of what really worked
for them and replaced it with what is considered industry best practices,
which may or may not work for them.  Seems a little silly.

So another example of categorization could be:

Blue, Green, Purple

Brian