Rambling thoughts on applying ITSM to the real world, after a long, grueling
week spent in multi-hour WebEx's diagnosing and fixing problems in 7.6.04.01.

You shouldn't think of Requests as alternatives to Incidents.  Think of SRM (or
Kinetic Request in our case) as your customer self-service portal, where you
gently extract information from the Requester with which to create an Incident
(no water-boarding, please) .  They display the IT services that someone is
eligible to request, and create Incidents (normally - or other types of
requests if you want them to) from customer responses, but since most IT
helpdesks and support staff do their work in the Incident Console, the requests
have to end up there at some point.  By most standards and our interpretation
of ITIL best practices, everything starts as an Incident from the IT support
staffer's point of view, but remember that an Incident comes in different types
as mentioned by "moe."  Our SLAs (response times and resolution times) are
dramatically different for the four Incident types, so they really are handled
differently (if for no other reason than the escalations range from 2 hours to
4 days).  If you need to spawn a Problem, Change, Task, or other similar
ticket, those should be created by the IT support staff working on the
Incident, NOT the customer.  The way ITSM 7.x works, just about every other
form is fed from an incident, and they are much less customer-centered in their
design.

If you, as a customer or a support staffer who gets lost in the Incident
interface (more prevalent in the pre-best-practice multi-tabbed interface),
want to enter a request quickly, on your own, or at 3 in the morning, you go to
Kinetic (or SRM, I guess) and enter it yourself.  If you call the helpdesk
(while they are open), they will enter an incident for you - directly; they use
the same Incident Templates that the Kinetic Requests use for consistency.
Sometimes they walk the customer through entering it themselves so that they
know how in the future.  Our Kinetic interface will allow a customer to update
their Incident's work log even if they did not enter the incident through
Kinetic (which the Requester Console/SRM will not do - they need the request
record to work through), so once a request is translated into an Incident the
original Request is of less or no importance - in the Requester Console or SRM
it is a surrogate to the Incident for customers who have no access to the
actual Incident.

I say this based on what I _think_ SRM does since we never had access to it
until we got suite licensing, never installed it until 7.6.04.01, and still
haven't touched it (and the docs have no screen shots so I have no idea what it
really looks like).  We used the Requester Console in 4.x and 5.5 and tested it
for 7.0 so my practical concepts come from there.  We did configure it to
create the surrogate Request for each Incident, which may still be an option in
7.6.x, but our users hated it and would not use it due to the myriad browser
problems with early mid-tiers. Setting Incidents to create corresponding
Request records might fit your model better, if they are required for the
customer interface.

As to new, unique features in SRM, I think the Work Orders function would be
best used for a specific process that cannot be confused with Incidents, but
again, I never have seen it in action. If it weren't for the fact that our
Telecomm has its own work order application, microcomputer maintenance and
classroom support and Facilities all have their own systems too (welcome to
academia), I would consider using the Work Order portion of SRM for those types
of discreet services.

So, the Requests (SRM or Kinetic) are your customer interface; IT support staff
will never look at them or use them to work their issues - they will use
Incidents as a rule, and Problems/Known
Errors/Solutions/Changes/Tasks/Releases/Activities as second/third level tools
to manage the work behind those Incidents.  You can get as fancy and
sophisticated as you want with your customer portal (good luck with that next
SRM upgrade), but in the end, it's just a way to take customer input and create
Incidents for the IT Staff to work on.

Or not.        ITIL is only a framework, isn't it??

BTW, forcing a customer to look at in Incident form, especially the Classic
View, is considered worse than water-boarding in some circles.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/