The logic I've seen proposed is that they already have a lot of Microsoft
technology (such as SCCM) and Microsoft seems to have provided the myth that
they are better integrated in their tools than other vendors would be.
Obviously, haven worked with AIE for a few integrations and implementing ADDM I
doubt that Microsoft can provide the data we get on Unix servers, Oracle
systems, and network equipment.

Still, the GUI is important because that is the visual that people will see in
the comparison.  I think the Best Practice views look significantly better.
SCSM appears to be along the lines of taking Outlook and embedding ITSM 6.0
inside of it instead of email (lots and lots of tabs and fields.)

I agree that the customization aspects are strong in AR System, but at the same
time I imagine SCSM must have some customizability through MOSS and/or .NET.
Still, it looks like the functionality may be primitive.  For example, in one
of the demos of SCSM 2012 they were bragging about their new enhancement
concerning Incident Assignees - now you get to pick from a specific AD group
rather than every single account in Active Directory (even the disabled ones.)
I've seen some other ITSM-specific pieces of functionality that are way too
primitive to compete with ITSM.

Where I think Microsoft will likely focus their attention is on how everything
is integrated with their other products.  The area that I see an advantage with
Microsoft is in terms of automated tasks.  It looks like running commands as
Tasks is a lot less cumbersome than with BMC's toolset.  Additionally, while
getting rid of the Windows User Tool is forward-thinking, you can do a lot more
with a dedicated Windows client so I think that may be considered as an
advantage as well, at least by the manager of our service desk.

Also, if the Microsoft demo does come to pass, I think we will definitely get
BMC involved.  My management team and I have already been in discussion with
our sales rep both about this and other things so my expectation would be that
BMC would be given the opportunity to present to the new half of the company as
well.  I still think they would be somewhat at a disadvantage though, only
because half of the management team are familiar with Remedy and already use it
so they have a more realistic perspective.  Microsoft has no history with their
ITSM suite, it's too new for anyone to have worked with it before, so they can
promise that it will control robots that run to Starbucks every morning to
bring free coffee and lemon pound cake for everyone.

Thanks,

Shawn Pierson
Remedy Developer | Southern Union