Kathy,
The way you delete the overlay, is in Best Practice Mode, just 'delete' the
field, if it's a base field without an overlay, this option is disabled, if
it's a custom field, it'll actually delete the field, but if it's a base
field with an overlay, it'll simply delete the overlay on the field.  this,
and possibly removing from view overlay will bring the field back to it's
OOTB state.