It’s been a really long time where I worked in a shop where you can assume that
1) you have completed requirements, 2) that you can do only development work,
and 3) it’s entirely a custom application.  This seems to be fairly rare in our
world of ITSM.  I can say that with out of the box applications, you spend
maybe 75% or more of your time reverse engineering BMC’s code and of the 25% or
less left, you spend your time designing and implementing your stuff.  That’s
also rare though because it seems like almost nobody gets to be a pure Remedy
developer anymore.

Also, Remedy is going to be different than lines of code in a significant way.
Let’s say I have a requirement to add a new field to Work Info on Incidents, a
flag where you mark something as confidential where only the currently assigned
group can see it.  It’s going to be a decent amount of work at the end of the
day, because I’ll have to add the field as a display only field on the HPD:Help
Desk form (0 new workflow objects), add a field with that flag to the HPD Work
Info form (0 new workflow objects), set up row-level access on the form (0 new
workflow objects), then I get around to writing code, which would be probably 2
or 3 filters created at best.  However, I’d have to update the filter that
writes to Work Info on Incident save, I’d have to update the push fields on the
Active Link on the “Add” button, and probably several other areas of workflow.
To make sure this works, I’d have to potentially update several other pieces of
workflow that wouldn’t be understood without lots of running of log files and
such.

Now when you’re dealing with custom applications, especially if you’re not the
one who built it, one of the problems with Remedy is that there are a lot of
people who either don’t have a development background and got pushed into
Remedy, or they have a programming background and got pushed into Remedy.  The
former results in illogical, badly designed Remedy code.  The latter results in
a lot of external calls to code written in the development platform of their
choice.  When you have teams of people, you get a mix of this.

So at the end of the day, I agree with you that it’s not a simple matter of
judging metrics as if Remedy development was factory work.  Only a Remedy
developer can judge another Remedy developer on a “coding” basis.  Here’s a few
things I would look for:

·         Is this person using Active Links where he should be using Filters?

·         Is he making his workflow generic enough where it can be used for
more than one thing (if applicable), especially making it data driven to
prevent the need for hardcoding things?

·         Does it flow straight-forward enough that someone else can understand
it?

·         Most importantly, is this person getting the business requirements
handed to him or her done in a reasonable timeframe in a supportable manner?

I don’t want to totally compare Remedy development to an art form but look at
it this way.  If you start paying a painter by the number of paintings he’s
commissioned for, you’re going to end up wasting thousands of dollars on canvas
with just a streak of a single color of paint splattered on it.  Conversely,
maybe you don’t need the next Mona Lisa so you don’t want a painter who is so
talented that he gets bogged down in the perfectionism.  Finding the balance
between the two with the real metric being, “Is this developer meeting the
user’s need?” is really the only valid thing to judge a developer by.

Thanks,

Shawn Pierson
Remedy Developer | Energy Transfer