To me, Charlie seems like a PM type who, by his own admission doesn't
understand how to measure development in Remedy.  That's ok, no one else
really can, either, except by results over a long period of time.  To
people like Charlie, who do an important job that I'm not trying to
denigrate, there needs to be a separation between the "What" and the
"How".  The customer tells us What they need, the PM works with the
developers and customer to come up with a combination of scope and schedule
that works for them all, but the How needs to be the domain of the
developer/architects.  When people who don't understand a technology try to
insert themselves into it, it slows the process and almost cannot improve
the results.  Leave engineering to the engineers, and measure the results
more than the process.

Rick