On Tuesday, 29 March 2016 11:14:14 PM HKT Grzegorz Kasprowicz wrote:
> [GK] If you don't use ARM, you still get hardened SDRAM controller and GBE
> MACs.

Yes, that's what I was saying: you cannot get rid of them (i.e. use their pins
like other IOs). So you need to use the Zynq-specific features of Vivado,
interface your design to the hardened AXI system, use some obscure Vivado
"wizard" to set up the SDRAM, and write a software driver for Xilinx's GbE
MAC. All doable, but annoying.

> > * we want to avoid RTMs and instead put the DAC/ADCs on the AMC card
> > and have analog plug-ins using the FMC form factor (see my document).
> > **Are you sure you would get noise performance from such setup that
> > satisfies you?
>
> Unless the FMC connector is particularly bad with analog signals, I think it
> should not be worse than the current hardware. [GK] All depends how you
> deliver the clock for such DAC. This is the weakest point of such solution.

The DACs will be mounted on the DSP cards (AMC directly), not the RF
daughtercards. And the DSP cards will have an external clocking option, that
may use semi-rigid coax if need be.

Sébastien