"What you miss Ram is that INSURGENTS are PEOPLE, who are driven to armed
uprising, in the pursuit of POLITICAL RIGHTS, which they are deprived of.

  In a real, functioning democracy, run by people who BELIEVE in it, not merely
wave as a facade at those whose approval they so seek, there would have been
ways to find a peaceful solution to such disaffections.

  That India has remained buried in its  effort to squelch these voices
militarily for over half a century, annihilating hundreds of thousands of what
it calls their very OWN people , and now with connivance of a brutal military
dictatorship in Burma,  points to its  fake commitments to real democratic
values and its intelligentsia's cluelessness and absence from its governance."

  I wholeheartedly support the underlined statement. We all should understand
that they are our brothers and sisters. Even if they have committed some
mistakes, the onus is on us to advise them to amend their ways and try to find
a suitable solution agrreable to all (even if it is a arduous task). Admit it
or not, GoI did never give a damn about what happens to the people of Assam and
will never do that in future too.

  Mridul Bhuyan

Chan Mahanta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:        What you miss Ram is that

  At 10:07 AM -0600 10/4/07, Ram Sarangapani wrote:
  >**** Ahhhh! The use of language to deny the humanity of 'insurgents' , as if
 >they are NOT people.  Not Nagas, not >Shans, not Manipuris,  >not
Oxomiyas---they are just INSURGENTS and so fair game.     C'da,     I doubt if
any sane government will just allow insurgents to do what they please - hole up
in neighboring countries and blow up their citizens. To that end, India is
frequently reminded of  the "humanity" that insurgents frequently dole out to
Indian citizens in Assam, Manipur etc.     You tout the  'just cause' on behalf
of insurgents, of their sacrifices, their aspirations etc.  Fair enough.
Similarly, India and Indians also think that their cause is just, and that the
Indian democracy (at least thats what they think - even if you disagree) is
being hijacked, its citizens killed, and  insurgents are causing a reign of
terror among common citizens in Assam     That is why, whatever the
causes/aspirations are, in the end, peace is what both sides need to aspire
 for.  If "peace" is not on the table nothing else matters.     --Ram
10/4/07, Chan Mahanta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  >He is upset that the GOI would reach across the border to seek the help of
Burma/Bhutan with the >insurgency problem.

   **** Ahhhh! The use of language to deny the humanity of 'insurgents' , as if
they are NOT people.  Not Nagas, not Shans, not Manipuris, not Oxomiyas---they
are just INSURGENTS and so fair game.

   That is what desi-demokray obviously stands for and is defended so
staunchly, uncritically by its devotees.  And my pointing it out causes the
discomfiture it does.
   Again, small wonder why desi-demokrasy's quality remains in the dismal
condition it does, and gets worse by the day.

   At 8:50 AM -0600 10/4/07, Ram Sarangapani wrote:
  >This is probably the reason why Sri Ram Sarangapani did not understand the
dig if any.

   Oh!. I understood the dig alright (I've known C'da for many years now:)).

   But what he fails to undersatand is that the GOI may on the one hand seek
help from the military Junta with a couple of goals in mind ( (a) to flush
insurgents and (b) to curtail drug trafficking into India from Burma ) and on
the other hand condemn the Burmese Govt. for its attrocities on the monks.

   Is this hypocritical on the part of the GOI? Obviously, the GOI does not
think the peaceful protesting monks are the same as militant insurgents.

   And I understand this has struck a 'raw nerve' in C'da. He is upset that the
GOI would reach across the border to seek the help of Burma/Bhutan with the
insurgency problem.

   --Ram

  On 10/4/07, uttam borthakur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  People of India may demand that its Govt should exert its influence over the
Myanmar Junta so that it does not resort to repression. Are the people of India
and its government the same thing? I am amazed at the naivete. This is probably
the reason why Sri Ram Sarangapani did not understand the dig if any.

Chan Mahanta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Heh-heh!

  **** That was one heck of a JUMPING to CONCLUSIONS you undertook Ram.

  Did *I* suggest or even IMPLY that India ought to have cut-off diplomatic
relations?

  What I was pointing to was a far more HYPOCRITICAL stance:

    Government of India has decided to provide all assistance to Myanmar Army,
as the neighbouring country was willing to help India. Significantly, Defence
Secretary Shekhar Dutta had last month paid a quiet visit to Myanmar to discuss
the demand for weapons. He briefed the meeting about the outcome of his visit.

  **** But I understand why my post struck that raw nerve again :-).

  >Yes, India is a democracy,

  **** Yes indeed, desi-demokratic that is, where ordinary meanings of these
terms like democracy, secularism and the like do not apply.

  > and it has known of Burma's dictatorship for decades. It has also known of
the Ayotollas in Tehran, the >commies in China, and of Fidel in Cuba. What
about Pakistan, where, one would think, most would >love India wiped out. And
what about Bangladesh, which is not very India friendly?

  **** The difference you avoided acknowledging and addressing, again, lies
with:

    Government of India has decided to provide all assistance to Myanmar Army,
as the neighbouring country was willing to help India. Significantly, Defence
Secretary Shekhar Dutta had last month paid a quiet visit to Myanmar to discuss
the demand for weapons. He briefed the meeting about the outcome of his visit.

  > "if you are not with us, then you must be against us"

  *** Nice try!

  c-da

  At 7:48 AM -0600 10/4/07, Ram Sarangapani wrote:
  >****What leaves me curious about is if GoI was aware of Burma's military
>dictatorship's activities spanning decades, as relates to its people's
democratic >aspirations, and how it fit with India's own dedication to
democracy?

   C'da, just couldn't resist. Yes, India is a democracy, and it has known of
Burma's dictatorship for decades. It has also known of the Ayotollas in Tehran,
the commies in China, and of Fidel in Cuba. What about Pakistan, where, one
would think, most would love India wiped out. And what about Bangladesh, which
is not very India friendly?

   Do you suggest that India severe all ties with such countries? After all,
there are people in all these countries seeking democratic aspirations .

   The US and every other democratic country have always had relationships (at
least tolerated) with countries that really do not hold the same values. What
about the US and Venezuela? Should the US severe that relationship, because
there too millions seek democratic aspirations.?

   Like, every other democratic country, India is no different. It can, and
should, maintain relationships with other countries (even the not friendly ones
or those run by dictators) at different levels.
  I am surprised, you seem to be saying "if you are not with us, then you must
be against us" :)

   --Ram

  On 10/4/07, Chan Mahanta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Greetings Goswami.  It is heartwarming to see Kharkhowa xangbadik xokolor
utkontha  ( Assamese journalist's concerns) about the Burmese people's
struggles for democratic rights.

  And my Kharkhowa heart glows with pride  with the  powerful stance you all
took in  support of democratic values by urging ----

  ">---- the Government of India to create diplomatic pressure on the Burmese
junta to refrain from >repressive measures against those carrying on the
democracy movement in the country."

  That ought to leave no doubt on how committed you all are to democratic
values.

  More so in view of the following that appeared in your paper, the AT,
obviously with a sense of relish
  ( note the highlighted parts)  some months back:

<http://www.assamtribune.com/ > http://www.assamtribune.com/    6 October 2006
  From Our Spl Correspondent
 NEW DELHI, Oct 5 - Notwithstanding the setback in the ULFA peace process, the
Centre is unwilling to write off the peace process and has held out fresh hope
by indicating that it was still willing to stop Army operations, if the outfit
responded positively. The Centre' latest gambit came from National Security
Adviser, MK Narayanan, who told newsmen here today that he was willing to call
off the Army operations, if ULFA comes for talks.
The NSA was responding to news reports, which quoted ULFA's mouthpiece Freedom
as having said that the outfit was still open to finding a 'political solution'
to the insurgency in Asom.

Replying to a query, he said that he was unaware about ULFA's statement. "But,
if it is true then it is most welcome. I will stop operation if they come," he
added.

The NSA had come to the Ministry of Home Affairs to take a meeting on the
internal security.

In the latest issue of its mouthpiece, the ULFA said it was, "still hopeful of
a political solution and it would respond to any such efforts initiated by the
Centre through the PCG". The mouthpiece said it was confident that the PCG
would work for bringing about a "political solution".

ULFA's latest threat to target Congressmen in the State, as well as the sudden
end to the peace process has the Centre thinking. The UPA Government at the
Centre, which was hoping for a breakthrough, is upset at the breakdown of the
peace process. Politically, the UPA may not find much support among its allies,
with the CPI-M already stating it wanted the peace process to continue.

The reluctance on part of ULFA to commit in writing, unabated extortions and
growing belligerence of the outfit coupled with stern warning from Army and
intelligence agencies forced the Centre to call off the suspension of operation
on September 24. Subsequently, the PCG also pulled out of the peace process.
  The development may be significant, because it comes at a time when the
Centre is bracing up to intensify operations against ULFA and by all
indications, a coordinated operation with Myanmar Army may be in the offing.

Last evening, as reported today, a high level meeting chaired by Cabinet
Secretary, BK Chaturvedi and attended by top brass of the three services,
intelligence officials, was held at South Block to take stock of the internal
security situation including Army operations in Asom.

  Government of India has decided to provide all assistance to Myanmar Army, as
the neighbouring country was willing to help India. Significantly, Defence
Secretary Shekhar Dutta had last month paid a quiet visit to Myanmar to discuss
the demand for weapons. He briefed the meeting about the outcome of his visit.

  ****What leaves me curious about is if GoI was aware of Burma's military
dictatorship's activities spanning decades, as relates to its people's
democratic aspirations, and how it fit with India's own dedication to
democracy?  And the ATs too?

  Any ideas?

  Best.

  cm

  At 1:29 PM +0100 10/4/07, ranenkumar goswami wrote:
  Newsmen's support to Burmese cause
              Guwahati, October 4: The Journalists' Forum, Assam on
  Thursday urged the Government of India to create
diplomatic pressure on the Burmese junta to refrain
from repressive measures against those carrying on the
  democracy movement in the country.
   In a meeting at the Guwahati Press Club with JFA
president Rupam Baruah in chair, the newsmen's body
asked the Union Government not to remain silent on the
happenings in the neighbouring country and do the
needful within its powers to facilitate a peaceful
transition to democracy.
   Extending its whole-hearted support to the
movement, the Forum demanded that Aung San Suu Kyi,
the globally recognized pro-democracy leader, be
immediately released from the prolonged detention she
is being made to undergo. It deplored the brutal
killing of protesting citizens including one foreign
journalist.
   The meeting expressed its solidarity with the
proposed Global Action Day for Free Burma to be
observed on October 6.
  The meeting was addressed among others by Dr
  Amalendu Guha, Hemanta Barman, Dr Abdul Mannan,
Nilamoni Sen Deka, Hiten Mahanta, Nava Thakuria,
Jayanta  Gogoi, Jawaharlal Saha and Satish Tahbildar.

      Download prohibited? No problem. CHAT from any browser, without download.
Go to http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php/

  Uttam Kumar Borthakur