At 8:28 PM -0500 9/29/02, Alpana Sarangapani wrote:
>Why has it been so hard, C'da? In all your magnanimity, you should have been
>able to point the finger at the culprits, especially when it is so obvious.

*** That is probably where my troubles lie A. I can see things that some don't.
And the obvious is not always where the problems lie.

>How long do you plan to cover up for such people - your love for them knows
>no bounds.

*** Wasn't it Digambar PUngta who said his heart is wide like Jerenga
Pothar :-)? I could use his simile in my case too. Someone has to stand up
for the people of Assam. I try my little part.

>It is there on the first sentence - I pasted it here again:

>You don't think I have inside information, do you?

*** No I don't really think you do Alpana. Never did. I do think you fall
for the headlines at face value. Unfortunately what is on the surface is
the symptom only. The causes lie elsewhere. If you never go to that
'elsewhere' you will never know why the things happen that get you so
upset.

>> share. How the whole thing seems to work in your view that is, ending up
>> with what you so passionately point out for our benefit.
>
>Why? Don't we all know it? That was there in the report too:

>malpractices

*** That is one more example of a facile assessment. Nobody asks WHY
corruption happens, and why it continues to get worse. And since they don't
ask, they will never know either.

>And you asked me how to rectify? Isn't that easy too? Corruption at all
>levels need to go!

*** I knew you must have had a solution A. Yes indeed--corruption must go.
But HOW do you go about performing that disappearing trick on corruption is
the big question. Indian rope trick won't work though. I have this urge to
suggest holding a good Indian style democratic election and vote out
corruption. But I won't get you more angry. I do enough already :-).

>And I hear, everybody thought ULFA was starting to do
>just that (without violence!),

*** Holy mackerel! ULFA as the non-violent reformer ? You must have been
reading too much fiction. Where did this idea come from?

But seriously WHY did Assam need an ULFA to initiate reform Alpana? Ever
thought of  that?

>but then the story took a turn for the worse
>and now we even have a bigger mess - corruption with a vengeance! power!
>hatred and killings!

*** So. Was it the ULFA government that pushed Assam from the frying pan
into the fire? To tell you the truth, I don't think ULFA ever was in power,
in charge. Really. To have expected ULFA, with the Indian army on its back,
to save Assam is the height of delusion is how I see it.

>Delhi is corrupt, yes!

*** Really? Why? What is Delhi's excuse? Terrorists?

>But in many cases like this, Delhi does not figure in
>this at all.

*** Oh? Ever asked where Delhi gets the money? Believe me, there is no
money tree plantation at Indraprastha. And they can PRINT only so much. It
must come from somewhere else. Delhi collects its wealth from the far flung
empire. So that, in its enduring generosity and with its vast wisdom, can
redistribute what they collect, commensurate with the vassals'needs and
deservedness, as determined by the wise at Delhi.

Having collected and redistributed the wealth with its innate wisdom, Delhi
washes its hands of any responsibility. And when it stays engaged, it does
only to make sure its interest is served. And that interest is served, for
one,  by rewarding those who sing its praise. And how does that interest
jive with the people of Assam's interests?

That my friend is the big mystery of it all.

>Delhi sent the money, and the "patriots" of Assam grab all that
>money for their own purposes. If Delhi is at fault, the only thing you can
>say is that they don't ask for proper accounting from the state. Of course,
>if they did that, you and your ilk will still get upset.

*** I see. Delhi does not do what it ought to, because MY ilk might be
upset. Whew, never realized how sensitive Delhi is to my ilk's likes and
dislikes.
Tsk tsk, Alpana. I expected more from you :-).

>--why do you act like Dhritarashtra all the time?

*** I am not much for Hindu eopics A, but I presume you are alluding to
Dhritarastra's blindness. If so. maybe you might attribute that to my
impaired vision. Then again it might be because I see what you don't want
to :-).

Take care.

c-da