On 2014-11-04, at 05:54, Peter Relson wrote:

> Since the construct pre-dated long-displacement, it's quite possible that
> it means very little with respect to long displacement. Or perhaps, for
> long displacement, the "end" is to some extent ignored (although it might
> be used to select from among multiple choices).
> As opposed to
> USING (*,*+1000),RegA
> USING *+1000,RegB

It seems to me to be even more important to enforce END with long
displacements because in many cases base register combinations
which produce unique resolutions with 12-bit displacements may
produce ambiguous resolutions with long displacements.

I suspect that HLASM development merely overlooked the design
changes necessary to accommodate long displacements fully.

-- gil