At 09:42 -0700 on 11/05/2014, Paul Gilmartin wrote about Re: What does the 'end' address on a USING statement mean?:

On 2014-11-05, at 03:07, Sharuff Morsa3 wrote:

 USING ought to be as helpful as possible.
 HLASM - like other products can be driven by user requests. The more
 requests/votes we have - the higher up the list the requirement goes.
 If the community feels this change is important/useful/desirable
 then please raise a requirement and vote for it.
 It will certainly get my vote.

 see http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21577670

That RFE or a similar one should also request support for a lower
bound on the range since HLASM now supports negative displacements.

I can see a use for both the start and end in a USING to be useful. Note that there can be an issue if the low end is before the start of the CSECT or the High end being past the end of the CSECT. If the assembly is a multi-CSECT one what happens if the high end of a Long Displacement points into the next CSECT (which then moved to another displacement from the first by the Binder). This would cause the instruction to point to the wrong place in the Program Object. The assembler can only enforce the low and high limits of the USING if they are in the same CSECT or DSECT. It would also need to toss an error if the LONG instruction attempts to address outside the USING range.