USING ought to be as helpful as possible.
HLASM - like other products can be driven by user requests. The more
requests/votes we have - the higher up the list the requirement goes.
If the community feels this change is important/useful/desirable
then please raise a requirement and vote for it.
It will certainly get my vote.

see http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21577670

Sharuff

> Date:    Tue, 4 Nov 2014 08:41:10 -0700
> From:    Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com>
> Subject: Re: What does the 'end' address on a USING statement mean?
>
> On 2014-11-04, at 05:54, Peter Relson wrote:
> >
> > Since the construct pre-dated long-displacement, it's quite possible
that
> > it means very little with respect to long displacement. Or perhaps,
for
> > long displacement, the "end" is to some extent ignored (although it
might
> > be used to select from among multiple choices).
> > As opposed to
> > USING (*,*+1000),RegA
> > USING *+1000,RegB
> >
> It seems to me to be even more important to enforce END with long
> displacements because in many cases base register combinations
> which produce unique resolutions with 12-bit displacements may
> produce ambiguous resolutions with long displacements.
>
> I suspect that HLASM development merely overlooked the design
> changes necessary to accommodate long displacements fully.
>
> -- gil

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.