On Wednesday, January 26, 2005, at 10:40 PM, Eric Scheid wrote:
so, "icon" ... or "favicon".

I prefer the latter.
I prefer the former. "favicon" => "favorites icon". I think "favorites" is a bad name for bookmarks--a person's reason for bookmarking something (or in the case of Atom, subscribing to a feed) may not have anything to do with how much they like it. And besides, the icon is displayed (in some browsers at least) when you're viewing the page, not just when it's bookmarked. I'd rather not propagate the use of the term. Let's just call it what we know it is--an icon.