Implicit parameters get a bit of a bad reputation, but I don't recall ever
being burned by them in any way even though I use them almost all of the
time; if you have things like implicit strings or even implicit Map[String,
something], that is obviously not good programming style, since it is
relatively easy to add a new implicit in scope (but then you'd get a
compile error anyway as you can't have more than one implicit of the same
type in scope) - they usually need to be rather specific types related to
configuration to make sense.  Granted, I have not used them much in the
contradictory fashion that I linked above from Miles Sabin - that is a
rather unusual Scala style, but he hides a lot of that in his Shapeless
library so you can use the features without being directly exposed to (most
of) the unpleasantries.

I get the sense that dotty isn't adding too many "bells and whistles"
features, and even removing the ones that relate to unsoundness, and making
other features less suprising, like making the extension order no longer
matter: A extends B with C will be the same as A extends C with B now. And
they are adding sensible union types. I believe they are improving
dependent typing in dotty as well. They are removing XML literals, which
I'm actually somewhat sad about, but adding in XML string interpolation.
I've heard there is 0 chance of getting linear types though. Which is why
ATS is really in a good place in terms of features. It has a lot of nice
functional things like Scala (even better: ATS has mutual TCO), has better
linear types than Rust, and has a proof system, neither of which Rust or
Scala has.

I don't meant to overly sell Scala here; I just think it has some nice
things, and I've been using it a lot, so I wanted to list the things I
thought were nice. Why I use it: as I and some others like to say, it is a
language that gives you types like Java (but better) and concision like
python, while basically giving you the same massive and easy-to-use (once
you are used to it) JVM ecosystem that Java enjoys. So while it may not
have a lot of advanced features compared to some more modern languages, it
already seems to be quite an improvement over the most popular languages
for many applications. Also I had a lot of JVM-related projects lately ;-).

--
Brandon Barker
brandon.bar...@gmail.com