mac os questions and usage tips

Ahoy all.
Now that it has been a few days with my mac I have gotten used to it a bit,and although I still feel its a bit slow, I'm not as majorly annoyed as I was a few days ago.
My stupidity aside in getting a MacBook Pro 2015 instead of a far better 2012 or a windows pc, I do have a few questions that I haven't been able to figure out by reading apples and such.
In finder, say I have a folder in list view, and another window or folder open in finder again. how would I go about navigating between the 2?
a example of such a thing would be a documents folder open and a downloads folder.
Something along those lines, how do I get finder not to open multiple windows when navigating the filesystem?
And ehh, cmd o to open a file or a folder instead of enter? I find that really clumsy.... that's one of the major pain in the arse apart from anything else.

I suppose I might end be forced to end up with win10. win8.1 iso that actually can b e installed without a key looks like quite impossible to find,there are ways or so I have read,but which requires editing the iso, which macs can't do by default.
and since this is a mbp2015 I can't install win7 on the dam thing. sad
Oh yes, if someone manages to read this far, how do I keep my mac from sleeping or bring up that user authentication dialogue even if you are listening to music with vlc on the foreground.
I'll ramble on later, and thanks again.