Re: Regarding Accessibility in New Products

I agree. It sucks when something isn't accessible, but there might be developers who have never even met a blind person.

A while ago, I contacted a company called Natural Machines that's trying to produce a 3D printer for food, such as pasta and that sort of thing. I told them that it would be neat if that kind of thing was accessible. They told me that they would have to talk to the engineers about that. I don't know if they were just blowing me off or what, but it was an acceptable response.

Another experience I had was with a company called Imzy, which is a new social media platform that's in beta. Imzy doesn't currently play very nice with screen readers at all, so I contacted them about it and offered to help if they needed help. They told me that they were already considering how to make their site more accessible.

So yes, there are reasonable people out there who may consider making products accessible. All it takes is a well-writt en request to consider accessibility. As for those people who simply don't care, I'd say stay polite and get more people on it, even sighted people. If companies see that making things accessible is something customers want, it may cause them to seriously consider it. However, sending nasty e-mails and making demands doesn't give a very good impression. Consider this. You're representing the rest of the blind community when you send such messages, and if you send nasty messages and make demands, you're giving all of us a bad rep.